She is paying bills
on the internet in bed when she says quietly, "Honey, I read on the
internet about a place in California that has a special hypnosis treatment that
might be able to help you." I fold
my arms, turning away from her. "I
am not forcing anything on you, I just thought you might want to check out the
website with me."
Still unwilling to
disarm, only one eye catches her in my peripheral vision. "What's it say? What do they do?"
"Look," she
redirects the laptop screen toward me, "they have a bunch of stories on
here that you should read."
Carefully and quietly she adds, "They sound like they have some of
the same issues as you." Cynical but
desperate, I pour over the website for what seems like hours.
First there was
not-her-real-name-Mary, a 47 year old mother of three who knew she had been
abused but did not know to what extent.
Under hypnosis she discovered the truth and was treated by a woman she
described as an "insightful miracle worker". Mary went on to explain how the abuse she had
suffered in the past had been keeping her from being able to trust even her
husband. Now they enjoy a much closer,
more loving marriage.
"Ofcourse."
Then there was
Elizabeth, a lesbian martial arts instructor.
"Obvious vulnerability issues there!" Date rape at 15 caused her bullemia and
depression. Just ten sessions of
hypnosis were needed to heal her inner child.
The testimonial that
hit unexpectedly close to home was Delia.
I had experienced every feeling she described; anger, depression, shame,
guilt, fear, and disgust. She, like me,
had learned to anesthetize herself with alcohol at a young age. Her compulsion to cut herself to release her
demons was all too familiar. The scars
on my thighs just now beginning to fade, I can almost feel the razorblade in my
hand again. "I want to fix
this." She is snoring sweetly by
the time I decide to ask her if she will make a roadtrip with me to see Dwayne
Gallagher at his institute.
The boys are fighting
again. I understand that brothers
fight. I have even learned to tune them
out when they intentionally pester each other.
What I find absolutely astonishing though is that they manage to piss
each other off even in the virtual World of WarMen over the internet!
"He tried to
kill my troll!"
"He never paid
me for the stuff I sold his Bork!"
My sons are like
night and day. Rufus was my angel
baby. He was such a good baby, never
fussed, slept through the night and rarely cried. He was a joy to have around until until just
the past few years when testosterone began to transform him into a mouthy, lazy
16 year old. Some days I still see
traces of my angel baby but other days he is the spitting image of his
father. Rufus and his father, Tyrone,
both have egos so big they don't know where to park them, both consider
themselves "players" and both are dangerously charming. I found him with another woman when I was 6
months pregnant with his child. Turns
out he was not ready for the whole "Dad" thing.
Lucas was the polar
opposite. He cried day and night and
would not be soothed by anything I tried.
He was an underweight toddler who seemingly had absolutely no attachment
to me! He grew more defiant and
difficult with each passing year until he was finally diagnosed with
schizophrenia. Now that he is entering
his teen years the medications he takes can hardly keep up with his ever
changing body and brain chemicals. I wish I had gotten a family medical and
mental health history before I married his father, Wade, a skinny, white Navy
boy. I was a young single mother in the
Navy and he was willing to take us on so I married him. I knew before I ever walked down the aisle
that I did not want to be married to Wade.
He was a nasty drunk who tried to control me physically when he failed
to turn me into his adoring wife. I
tried to appease him by giving him a child of his own but soon I just had to
get us all away from him. Life as a
single mother struck me as less unbearable than having to have sex with Wade.
With two toddlers in
tow I regretted leaving the Navy. I had
few marketable skills but I was determined that we could make it on our
own. I would never again put myself in a
position of having to rely on someone else to support me and my kids. Life on our own was tough. I worked and took care of the kids
non-stop. I had no time by myself, no
time to make friends, no energy left at the end of the day and no hope of
changing our circumstances unless I added school to the todo list. Going against every screaming warning in my
head, we moved in with my parents so I could go to a computer technology
school. I knew the likelihood that my
mother and I could get along was somewhere between slim and none. We moved in when Rufus was 7. We moved out after 2 years of bickering. We have been on our own ever since... until
now.
What I had hoped to see on the SEABHS website was a banner
announcement saying that a particularly destructive virus had been detected in
business networks which became active at noon eastern time today,
07/07/07. The virus brought down
networks across the United States, American websites suffered massive denial of
service attacks, terabyte after terabyte of data disappeared from servers and
storage devices and millions of desktop PC’s were rendered unbootable. This, as part of a terrorist plot to mar the
American Independence celebration, had alerted thousands of IT workers that
they had better grab a quick hotdog off the grill and go into work as it was
going to be a long night. Instead, what
Simutech warned against on July 4th was only a new document and
email virus which was pesky at best.
I wanted to believe she, her boss, her ex and another
employee were stuck at work due to some catastrophic event worthy of executing
the company network disaster plan. That
would be a worthy cause for her to miss out on our holiday picnic. The truth was that the network data link to
the internet was down. The telecom
vendor had been called and they could only wait until it was restored before
reinitializing the network switches and restoring external communication to the
internet. How many people does it take
to just wait? Apparently, it took three
levels of management and a desktop engineer.
Meanwhile, the one engineer who could/should/would have addressed the
problem single handedly was at home completely unaware of the issue, unpaged,
untexted, unaware. What I didn’t want to
believe was that she and her ex were there because they wanted to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment